Removing the existing layers of paintings from furniture or any other item is very important before putting another layer of paint on them. Removal of the paint is not an easy task, as it requires lots of preceditions. Maintaining these precedencies is extremely important as many paints contain harmful chemicals including lead. However, many types of paint stripping procedures are currently available, with most people looking for products that offer the fastest strip times.
It is worth mentioning that most of the paint strippers available in the market place are effective in their task many of them can cause skin irritation and breathing problems for the user. That is why the following precautionary measures must be observed while working with these strippers. The user must follow the precautionary measures stated below:
• Children, babies and pregnant women must be kept away from the place where the paint stripping is done. These strippers often contain chemicals that emit harmful fumes and gases. These materials can have a harmful effect on their body. They must stay away from the area until the paint stripping has been completed and the area cleaned.
• The task of removing thicker layers of paintings should be done in a closed and covered area with restricted access. If the task is being done in a residential area, then one room at a time should be treated, cleaning the area up completely before moving on to the next room.
• The people carrying out the striking must observe high safety measures for themselves too. They should wear overalls, gloves, safety glasses or goggles and shoes. If it is a confined area, then a respirator or suitable approved mask should be worn.
• The chemicals used in these paint strippers can fume. It is highly recommended and suggested that the personnel carrying out the striking should not eat or drink anything where the task of stripping is being carried out. Smoking must also be avoided while working with these products.
• The affected area should be cleaned up on a daily basis at the end of the day's work. This is very important to ensure the area is free from any harmful chemicals and is clean, ready for the next day's work.
• Users should wash their hands thoroughly after finishing working with these products. They should remove all of their protective clothes, before leaving the area. If they are heavily covered with chemical or fired paint they should clean themselves with the help of a filtered vacuum cleaner, which is recommended by High Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA).
Although these strippers are effective in their task, the users must understand the advantages of water based paint strippers that are also available in the marketplace now. These water-based paint strippers are very effective in their performance which is why the demand for these types of product is increasing rapidly these days. They are not harmful to the skin or lungs as they do not emit any harmful fumes of smells.
Source by Bruce Lee Brown